Things I learned today:
- Cleaning gutters that have not been cleaned in 2+ years is disgusting. It smells like someone crapped themselves, climbed up there, and died covered in their own feces.
- Naps are the devil. I accidentally took one today and now it is 11:20 pm and I am WIRED! As are the pets who I woke up and they were on top of me.
- A little spaghetti squash goes a long way. There is no need to make 3 of them.
- I like double awesome kill cliff much better then the old stuff. (Kill cliff = paleo(ish) energy/recovery drink).
- If you don’t eat spaghetti squash you are doing something wrong!
- Cooking and baking creates a lot of dishes and I need to learn to tone it down. Especially when I start said cooking and baking at 10pm.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way I’ve got a recipe that is thebomb.com for you! If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash yet you need to get on it. I am very thankful that we have amazing friends with amazing gardens. It also helps that it rains in NC every 5 minutes this season so their gardens are a bit out of control and people keep dumping delicious fresh veggies on us. Doesn’t get more paleo then that!
Recipe disclaimer: I never used to cook. Hubs is Italian. I generally cook like an old Italian lady now. This means “measuring” doesn’t happen much. I just kind of dump and go by taste. Ill ball park for you but don’t hold me to it here.
spaghetti squash (I used 3…it would feed a family of 4-6 easy!)
1lb of shrimp (more or less depending on what tickles your fancy)
4-7 garlic cloves
salt & pepper to taste
First thing is first cook the spaghetti squash. Cut those bad boys in half and scoop out the seeds. I cook mine in the microwave because I am too impatient to wait for the oven to heat up and wait for them to cook. Put them in a microwave safe container skins up (aka where you scooped the seeds out face down) and put in about 1-2″ of water. Nuke those bad boys for 15-20 minutes (when the skin is squishy they are done). I had to do this 3 times because I used 3 squash and my microwave isn’t for giants.
While all that is going down heat up a pan and put some olive oil in it (I probably used 1/3-1/2 cup), mince and put in the garlic cloves and heat up. Make sure you are stirring this constantly or the garlic will burn and that would suck. When that is warm squeeze in the juice from the lemons (you may want to do this in a different dish and then pour in to avoid seeds getting in; they are sneaky devils). Add salt and pepper to taste. This is when I start sticking my fingers in to taste it and get the flavor I want. Like more garlic? Put more in! Want a bit more of a lemon kick? Squeeze in some more! You catch my drift!
Then toss in the shrimp and let them cook. This doesn’t take long (3-5 minutes). They will turn pink. Make sure you take the tails off and devine them if you didn’t buy them that way. When all of this has gone down your spaghetti squash should be done. Take a fork and scrape the insides. It will string out like spaghetti. Put it in with the shrimp combo, toss together, and enjoy!
It was delish. Sorry the pictures aren’t better. I had to use my phone because I let the battery die in my SLR.